Thursday, January 28, 2021

Jim Howard at camp 1956 - 1958. Jim has some good memories / tales and reminds us of Carl Johnson, Bob Dennie, Al Doig (A Dog), Bob Hastings and Tom Tollefsen

Hi Wayne…….

                     I came across the Camp Clark website a while back, and it sure has brought back a lot of memories.  I initially went to Camp Clark as a dishwasher in 1956.  I had a great time, and one night I even got to view the dishwashing machine from the inside – thanks to the senior counselors.

 

Those guys also discovered that I was a real heavy sleeper which led to me waking up out in the woods, down by the waterfront, and one time in the dining hall with no idea how I got there.

 

I returned the next year as a CIT and spent the summer in the junior section.  I believe my counselor was Carl Johnson.  I also became the camp bugler that year.   I remember one morning not being able to find the bugle.  Turned out it was at the top of the flagpole!  Never did find out who did it.   I was also able to improve my swimming skills that summer which led to me being able to assist on the waterfront the following year.

 

In 1958 I shared counseling duties with Al Doig in the cabin above the craft shop.  We were overseen by Bob Dennie, and it was my job to bring him  a jug of warm water every morning so he could shave.  Al (A Dog) and I led the singing in the dining hall that year.  I enjoyed seeing the words to the songs on the website.

 

Unfortunately, 1958 was my last summer at the camp.  I had some major surgery later that year and I was not recovered enough to be able to attend.  I did land a job working for Bob Hastings in the youth department at the New Bedford Y that year and continued to work there for about 3 years. I believe I succeeded Tom Tollefsen in that position.  During that time I was able to take a course at Springfield College to become a Leader/Examiner and passed the Red Cross test at the Y to be certified as a Water Safety Instructor.  That led to two summers of Lifeguarding at Anthony Beach in Dartmouth, MA.

 

I now reside in Burlington, NC with my wife Marilyn, and work a full-time job managing a division of the Industrial Rivet & Fastener Company that is based in NJ.  I enjoy the job and retirement is not in my plans.  

 

Thank you for the website, and I look forward to future postings.

  

No comments: