Thursday, November 19, 2020

The obituary posts about Pete and Clayton prompted this response from Alan Hastings

Your bringing back lots of memories........


Clayton Farnham. Counselor in Ted Babbit, the senior cabin, during the 1955 season and maybe/probably 1956. Song leader, extraordinaire. I believe he worked the waterfront.

I think Zimmie (Robert Zimmerman) was the counselor in Gordon Cabin in 1955. My first year at camp as a camper. I was 10. I believe he had a model T, which we piled in on occasion for cabin time. I want to say he was the athletics counselor. Spike Dennie was the assistant director during those early years(for me)

I believe the Uptons, Joe & Pete, also from NJ, I think, were on staff during that period.

Alan

--------------------------------
In an earlier email, in response to a question from me, Alan said he thought his dad was at the camp in 1946 and 1947. Then he returned as the director in 1955 until it was sold. 1970-71

Wayne

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wayne:
Someone posted a question on the web site asking if counselors in our day, after camp closed, smoked cigars and tried to keep the ash from falling.

I don't recall that story, but I recall having a good time closing up the camp - pulling boats up to the dining hall for winter storage, cleaning up the Craft Shop (long gone now) and sweeping and closing up the cabins.

I do rember one summer when Lat Hannum (Camp Director) and Ben Wilson (Asst. Camp Director) had to leave us conselors to finish up the last jobs. We did so late in the afternoon and Norm Purdy went out for beer. We polished off the beer and put the cans in the big can that was going to the Sandwich Dump in the AM.

Much to our surprise Bob Hastings showed up as we were eating breakfast. I suspect that Lat and Ben asked him to check up on us. Hap Greenhalgh managed to get the dump can in the truck without the beer cans making any noise. But Bob Hastings must have smelled a rat, and decided to ride with Hap to the dump. Needless to say, the cans were very much in evidence when Hap had to empty it over the banking at the dump. Bob never said anything about the cans to Hap or to us when they got back to the Dining Hall.
Joe Larson

Marylou said...

The Model T that Zimmerman was driving was Pete Mandell’s that he entrusted to Zimmerman while Pete was in the army. Never found out what ever happened to it.